What expertise do you want to develop?
What complex skills are important for your success?
What do you want to learn in depth?
In today’s environment, you don’t have to go back to school to gain the knowledge and skills you need. But finding the right resources, planning your own development, and being accountable for outcomes are not as easy to set up as you might think.
Charting Your Course for Self-Directed Learning is a guide for the development journey. Download the workbook now, and see Navigator Services and Guide Services below for personalized assistance options.
Charting Your Course Workbook
The Charting Your Course for Self-Directed Learning workbook walks you through the three phases of a successful learning journey:
Identify your destination: Determine the knowledge base or skill you want to build – an area of expertise that will position you to contribute more effectively and prepare you for new roles and responsibilities.
Plan your itinerary: Map out the activities (and timeline) that will move you forward, including learning activities, connections with people, application opportunities, new habits, and more to ensure you reach your destination.
Take your learning journey: Execute your plan, working along the way to consolidate learning, apply new skills, monitor progress, and course-correct as needed.
Chart your course to substantially upgrade your skills or deeply investigate a topic of interest.
Get a Charting Your Course workbook now
Guidance for the journey
The Charting Your Course process works for people with any kind of deep learning need to self-manage – whatever your role, level, or career situation. Along the way, I can provide two kinds of assistance:
// Navigator Services
With the Navigator Services package, you get a full-service learning concierge to identify your destination and plan your itinerary.
As your navigator, I will:
- Work with you to clarify your destination – provide you with tools to help you to evaluate your skills and act as a sounding board to discern your priority development goals.
- Research your potential itinerary – identify customized recommendations for resources and activities to address your learning goal.
- Create a proposed plan – suggest a detailed list of activities, timeline and waypoints.
Navigator services include two one-on-one meetings (usually virtual) to 1) identify your destination, 2) review and finalize the itinerary. Along the way, you’ll be asked to complete preliminary assessments and worksheets to feed into the process.
// Guide Services
The Guide Services package provides personal consultation as you take your learning journey and arrive in port.
As your guide, I will:
- Act as your learning mentor – help you to make sense of what you are learning and decide how you might apply it, and engage with you to review the challenges and successes that result from your efforts.
- Coach you in applying new skills – guide and critique projects in which you are trying out what you learned, encourage your progress, prompt timely action, and urge completion of the journey.
- Consult with you on progress and course corrections – help you to redraw your map as necessary as things change along the way.
- Help you to develop the skills you need to learn on your own – coach you on developing the “wherewithal” that allows you to manage your own learning projects
// Team Expedition
If you’d like to use Charting Your Course as part of your strategy for planning individual development on your team, I would be happy to work with you. We can customize a session to orient the team around self-development and create a solid ongoing initiaitve that will help your team significantly advance their knowledge and skills.
For more information on any of these services, contact me for a free consultation.